Monday, July 4, 2011

askaversary

10 years ago today, Dave asked me this question:


Obviously, I said "yes." Actually, I don't think I even let him finish popping the question before I threw my arms around him, while saying yes and bear-hugging and kissing him. Here's how he did it...

We had spent the morning of the Fourth hanging out and playing tennis. At some point during the game, he accidentally beaned me on the head with the tennis ball (this is relevant for later).

In the afternoon, we drove across town to his grandparent's house for a cookout with his family and to watch the fireworks from their front yard. Shortly after the first rocket burst in the sky, Dave beckoned me to join him in the backyard (I thought he just want to kiss me in a semi-private location :) ). He began to apologize again for hitting me in the head with the tennis ball and asked me if there was anything he could do to make it up to me. I laughed and told him it was okay...and then, he said, "I guess there's only one thing left to say," and he began to get down on his knees. It was at the start of "Will you..." that I threw my arms around him (good thing he was asking me the question and not something like, "Will you take out the garbage?" ;)

My cheeks ached over the next few days from grinning so hard as we shared the news with family and friends. I've always felt this day was the real start of our marriage and our wedding day only 3 1/2 months later a mere formality.

Happy askaversary honey!

No comments: