Monday, October 15, 2012

day 15: this I understand (I think)

Learning to love God with all my heart and all my soul? I'm still not sure if I know how to do this fully or if I even completely understand it.

Learning to love God with all my mind? Now that's something I understand (I think). After all Mr.'s Myers and Briggs told me I am an INTJ. That's "T" for thinking.

And much of my relationship with God takes place in my head. It's where I process what I think about Him and why. It's where I am most comfortable. It's also feels more tangible than those messy things called emotions. After all, I can take my thoughts and put them down on paper and evaluate whether they appear God-focused, me-focused, or agreeing with the enemy.

But even though this feels like a familiar, comfortable area, there's much I have to learn about applying this understanding to loving God and fulfilling His commandments.

Take the letter to the Philippians, for example. In it God though Paul, gives us guidelines for what we should be thinking about. But even though He lays this out in black and white, do I do this 100% of time? Not even close. I'm not sure if I even do it 10% of the time. Maybe it has to do with the length of the list.

If, like me, you have a hard time remembering this list, here's a song by Seeds Family Worship which, thankfully, has stuck in my head (but applying is another matter, one that requires God's help):



This week I'm learning to love God with all my mind and loving my enemy (a.k.a. the people I'd rather not have to deal with). Want to join me? Please click here for this week's challenges.

1 comment:

Positively Alene said...

Oh my I can always use lessons on loving others more. Stopping by from 31 days. What an awesome series. Blessings!