Friday, November 9, 2012

the way a mom reknows herself

an activity made for quiet time
Rest time.

The time of sanity saved in the life of a mother.

Ever since Brianna was born, followed by Reese, then Luke, then Ben, I guarded this time closely.Much of my quiet time was filled with sleep, trying to make up the lost hours of new mother nighttime wakefulness.

I gave up trying to nap when Luke and Reese were young and would awaken several times when they were supposed to be asleep.

So my rest time changed to quiet time. I filled it with reading and studying the Bible, doing chores, writing, sewing and so many other activities.

But there is peace in knowing your babes are asleep or having their own rest time. And in a returning to knowing you as you and not as you in the role of wife, mother, caretaker, whatever - as worthy and wonderful as those roles are.

Quiet time is a returning time to knowing who I am when I was created by the Great I AM.

Ending here @ a smidgen over five minutes with a question for mothers and caretakers: Do you plan a time of quiet and rest for yourself? How do you fill this time and what have you learned through it?


Writing with Lisa Jo and the Five Minute Friday community
Five Minute Friday

7 comments:

Joy said...

Occasionally I spend the time returning some emails, or doing a baking activity with the non-napping child but generally It is also my time to read.

Lovely post!!

Unknown said...

Great post !!

Beth said...

Quiet time is a must in our house too for kids AND mom!

Denise said...

Wonderful post.

Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I try to have my quiet time with the Lord every morning. Blessings!

cALyPsO said...

Aww.. this is GREAT.
For me, my piano lessons are my moments of quiet. It's the one time when I sit and know this is what I was built for. I listen to the praise of my teacher and I should say thank you.. but all that comes out is, "I know." LOL. My music is the thing that restoreth my soul. My music is the one thing no one can take away from me. So glad you've found that for yourself too.

Anonymous said...

How do you do. I am not sure if I come attain the former arguments. I entertain a headache. [url=http://headachetreatment.net/#250]order fioricet[/url]