Friday, November 4, 2011

sowing...seeds from Chapters 7 & 8 (revised)



If you're just joining us (and we're so glad to have you along!), we're taking two chapter per week from the book, The Power of a Positive Mom: Revised Edition by Karol Ladd.

On Mondays we focus on reaping: What are we gleaning, discerning from the reading?
On Fridays we focus on sowing: What actions from the Power Points can we apply in our lives in order to become more positive mothers?

(For a link to previous discussions, please click here.)

As I mentioned in Monday's post, God has been drawing me more intensely to a place of prayer. It is a season of intertwining. A living out of the vine and the branch. God, the branch vine is calling me to this place. To choose to adore, confess, thank, deposit - the choice in Chapter 8's Power Point. A vine branch, I must choose to accept this invitation. To welcome the embrace of the vine which bears the fruit wrap myself around the Branch which gives stability and the ability to sustain life.* To choose trust over worry (the choice in Chapter 7).

Our prayers themselves are the seeds. And as we drop each prayer-seed one by one in the hands of the One who purposes to see them grow - or in the case of our worries, gently crumbles them in His fingers and says "no more" - we can look forward to a bearing of fruit and a bountiful harvest in our life and the lives of those around us.

Before we close for this week, I have a seed I'd like to sow among this group. It relates to the "Do" Point in Chapter 8 - the idea of prayer partners. Would you like to see a Reap to Sow prayer group? It could be as simple as prayer request via email or connecting people with a prayer partner. Please indicate your interest in the comment section or email me. If there is interest, we can provide more specifics in the coming weeks along with guidelines (confidentiality being one of the most important).

*As you can see, I got the vine/branch analogy backwards, but thankfully, my sister pointed it out. Which is a good reminder to always refer back to the word and check it to make sure our recollections of what it says are correct (and to make sure what others are telling His Word says is correct). This is just one of the many times when God has called me up short on my assumptions about what His Word says. May He use this experience to remind me to handle His Word with greater respect and with a holy fear that these Words breathe life and are not to be tampered with.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I love the visual of God's fingers crushing a seed of worry. Thank you for that. And, wonderful idea for a prayer group. I'm in.

He Loves Me said...

hey Anne,

Isn't it that Jesus is the vine, we are the branches according to John 15? Just wanted to clarify...

I can relate to His desire for us to abide, to rest in Him...

Love,
hil