Friday, April 29, 2011

recipe: broccolini with figs, garlic and pine nuts

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon "Vegan Planet" at our local library. Though I'm not vegan, I do try to have our family eat healthy and when I became lactose intolerant I also wanted to find yummy recipes that didn't require dairy (they do exist!). (.27.12 update: I'm vegan now :) )   After trying out several recipes from the book, I ended up buying a copy of my own.

The other week I tried out the "Broccoli Rabe with Figs, Garlic and Pine Nuts" - I ended up using broccolini - I'm not sure if this is the same as broccoli rabe, but it looked good and was different that using broccoli, though you could use that too). Anyway here's the recipe with a few of my modifications and a picture of the results while it was still on the stove.

2-3 bunches broccolini, coarsley chopped
a little bit of water
2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
1/3 coarsely chopped dried calimyrna figs (these are the best kind)
1/4 c pine nuts
salt and pepper

Add water to the pot pot and saute garlic until fragrant. Add figs and pine nuts and cook until the pine nuts are lightly toasted. Add broccolini, salt and pepper to taste, and cook about 5 minutes until broccolini is crunchy but tender. Do not put the lid on the pot (it makes green veggies take on a sickly greeny gray color). Serve and enjoy.

Besides the yummy flavors, the best part about this recipe is that it takes only about 10 minutes to prepare and cook, start to finish. The funny thing (for me) is that my children who love broccoli did not give a thumbs up to this, but my son who does not like broccoli did eat it. Go figure!

No comments: