Monday, December 12, 2011

reap to sow: gleaning from Chapters 19 & 20



If you're just joining us (and we're so glad to have you along!), we're taking two chapter per week from the book, The Power of a Positive Mom: Revised Edition by Karol Ladd. This week we are reading and discussing Chapters 19 & 20.

On Mondays we focus on reaping: What are we gleaning, discerning from the reading?
On Fridays we focus on sowing: What actions from the Power Points can we apply in our lives in order to become more positive mothers?

(For a link to previous discussions, please click here.)

"At first glance you might think you don't need to read this chapter," opens Karol in Chapter 19.

My thoughts exactly.

But every notice how the teeniest speck of pride gives God an invitation to turn things on their head and show you exactly how that speck has blinded you to reality? Kind of like being hit with a plank in your eye. ;)

Thus I reaped and gleaned and threshed from Chapter 19, perhaps more so than all the others.

The section on love, anger and forgiveness spoke most to my heart. I had always prided myself (ahem) on my ability to forgive, because the message that God gives us forgiveness and expects we extend this same mercy to others strikes deeply in my heart. It's always been a no brainer - you're wronged, you forgive, you move on.

But I think I skipped over an important step before the forgiveness part in many past situations...recognizing my anger and hurt over a situation and processing it. Recognition is the first of the 4 R's dealing with anger which Karol outlines on pgs. 247 and 248. After recognition comes releasing, then relying on God to aid in forgiveness and healing, and lastly is to replace anger with love. But it's hard to replace what you haven't acknowledged in the first place.

I need to pause for a moment to give praise to God. So often on this Reap to Sow journey, He has brought forth events or an awareness within me to coincide with the chapters I would be discussing. He let me experience the concepts of this book in my life and not just in my head. I know some people, including followers of Christ, question whether God really knows what is going to happen and what choices we are going to make. But He knows, people. He knows.

Before I go on to Chapter 20, if you love the passage from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 which Karol included in Chapter 19, here's a link to a post I did which includes a printable of that verse if you'd like to make your own Banner of Love to hang in your home.


Onto Chapter 20...

"Wouldn't it be great to have a flow chart that could lead us through the issues of parenting and discipline?" asks Karol on pg 252.

Yes, please! Sign me up.

Sadly (sigh) such a chart does not exist. Or rather, gladly, because we are not robots responding to commands. We are beings made in the image of God. And that is a fearful and wonderful thing.

In lieu of a flow chart however, Karol provided wonderful insight and food for thought when it comes to lovingly disciplining our children.

I especially reaped aplenty from the section on the 3D's where Karol discusses three areas of negative behavior which need addressing in our children, and in our own lives, too.  I love the simplicity of remembering them: Disobedience. Disrespect. Dishonesty. I'm prayerfully considering how to use these concepts in our home and I hope to share these glimmers of thoughts with you when we sow on Friday.

Until then...

If/when you have a chance to read these two chapters, I'd love to hear what you reaped from them (and on Friday, what you will be sowing in your knowledge). Please consider leaving a comment or emailing me - I always love a good book discussion. :)


2 comments:

PrairieJenn said...

Hi, Andrea:)
Just wanted to pass on the Liebster Award to you! It is typically given to dear, favorite, or beloved small blogs as a way to recognize and encourage one another. Your blog is fairly new to me, but I have found it to be a great source of wisdom already. The rules for the award if you wish to pass it on are this: Thank the blogger that nominated you by linking back to them; share your top 5 choices for the award and leave a comment on each blog; and post the award on your blog. Hope you have a blessed week:) Jenn

Courtney said...

Andrea - I've had so many of the same moments while going through this book; experiencing the lessons in real life and not just "in my head" as you say. It is amazing how God knows where we are going to be and how these lessons will be applied.