Saturday, April 16, 2011

swim. and fly

Yesterday was my first time in the pool in training for the triathlon. I didn't have any set goal in mind (though I was praying I could make it at least four lengths without collapsing in exhaustion). It was more of an experiment to see just how far I could go.

I felt nauseous in the morning before heading to the pool, and remember asking myself why I would be feeling that way (and knowing it wasn't "morning sickness"). Reflecting back, I think I was more nervous about this endeavor than I really cared to think about.

To my surprise and delight, it went much better than I anticipated. Maybe doing some weight lifting for several months now helped along with my recent return to running. Maybe lifting and chasing around children for almost eight years contributed. But I suspect it has more to do with the kindness of our God. He is merciful.

Since I'm not officially training yet - I'm using the 12-week plan that you can find here - I still have a couple more weeks of "playing" before the hard work really begins.

And on a completely different element...watching the eagle parents in Decorah, Iowa, is completely humbling. As I type this, one of the bedraggled parents is sitting on the nest, protecting its three babies from an onslaught of wind and snow (yesterday, it was raining). I am in awe of the sacrifice these avian parents needs to make to protect their young. Perhaps that is why God is likened to an eagle or why Jesus longs to be a "hen gathering her chicks." How awesome is our God is watches over and protects us, taking the brunt of the storm, watching for predators, feeding us. Thank you, Lord.

No comments: